Tuesday, November 18, 2014

What'd You Get Me?

Jerry and I have most of our "gift giving occasions" between October - December.  That is the timeframe of both of our birthdays, our anniversary and of course - Christmas.  The following post was written late in December several years ago, but the truth of it remains in my heart and mind  - especially as we are in this season.  I am still working on applying it's lesson, so decided to go with a retro post!


My husband and I have this game that we play around birthdays, Christmas or any other gift giving occasions.  It goes like this, “So what did you get me?”  Sometimes it’s said once in passing, sometimes it’s repeated over and over in rapid succession to try to wear the giver down to sharing some clue.  Yes, I know this sounds rather childish for two well into middle aged adults to engage in, but I think it’s one of the casualty’s of not having children – we sometimes have to play that role in the family ourselves.

Well anyway, there I was on the morning of December 23rd having a delightful Quiet Time with my Lord.  I had finished my reading and my pondering, and in fact was just about to put down the pen after recording the last word in my journal for the day when I heard it . . .

“So what did you get me?” 

I paused and listened to the voice – but it wasn’t that of my husband.  It was my other beloved’s voice – Jesus!  As I tuned in on His voice I heard, “It’s my birthday soon you know, I’ve seen the gifts you’ve gotten for everyone else, what did you get for me?” 

When I shared this with my husband his response was “Isn’t that just like God to speak to us in our own game and language?”

So for the remainder of that day, and periods of the next several days I spent time pondering what I would give Jesus for his birthday – or , really the better question was – had I planned to give Him anything for his birthday?  If I hadn’t why not?  And if I was, it was getting late, so I better decide quickly. 

What do you get the Lord of the Universe, who has everything and can create anything else He thinks of?!


The only response I could think of was “to obey is better than sacrifice.”  I think what Jesus was asking for was more of me – all of me in fact.  To not spend time trying to figure out something new, or find a new way to give of myself to Him – but to “just do it!”  To give of myself and obey what He has already taught and shown me. 

Funny - a couple years later, I think this is still the gift He wants and I need to give!

No comments:

Post a Comment